Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Monday, February 4, 2008

Behind the Scenes

This is an ongoing post about how the book "Buckskin Bessie - Her Lost Letters" came about. It is posted every Monday and the original was posted in Jan. 2008
No part of this information may be reproduced in anyway.The return address gave me Bessie's name so that is where I started. The program "Ancestry.com" was something I had and it was perfect for my endeaver. Very quickly I found a 1920 census that gave the names of all the Jonas Herberg family members and their ages at the time the census was taken. A current phone directory found on the internet had a listing for a Dale Herberg in Ruthton, Minn. so that was my first call. I introduced myself and told the woman who answered that I had these letters and asked to speak with Dale Herberg. His widow, explained he had just recently died. I felt horrible!!! but amazingly she was very curtious and concured that Bessie was his relative and that she was sure there were some things of hers stored in their garage. She gave me the name and phone number of another cousin, ________ Stevens, that lived in South Dakota. It took some time for me to build up enough courage to call this cousin but when I did.....she was very open and shared with me all sorts of things and gave me the name of yet another living cousin that was here in Arizona! Both of these cousins were the nearest relatives of Bessie and both were in their 80's at the time.
I then looked to see if I could find a phone number for the man in Ponca City from the news article that had the collection of Bessie's clothes. Found it! A phone call revealed that he was very interested in the letters so now I was not sure what to do............................................................
The only thing I knew for sure was that I did not want to throw away these letters and old photos.
My hubby found an upcoming competition taking place near Ponca City and said through the business, we could go and then take an extra couple of days to go meet with Jack Keathly. Talk about exciting............................................I couldn't hardly wait!


ps....I apoligize for any misspellings.....the spell checker is not working.

3 comments:

Granny Annie said...

Yes, so exciting! The story only gets better and better!

Changes in the wind said...

Whew....think I have the comment thing fixed....was wondering why I hadn't heard anything from anyone.
You know ganny annie I am struggling to remember it all and at one time had it all documented but can you believe I can't find those papers!
ps...you haven't heard noting yet:)

Linda G. said...

This is so interesting! It sounds as though it was meant to be..a few more years and the cousins might not have been alive.