Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Saturday, May 5, 2018

Dress a Girl around the World











  If you have followed my blog you know that I have knitted for charity for a long time and continue to do so but the other day I got to thinking about the pictures I have seen of the pillowcase dresses they make for children in Africa and so I googled that. To my great surprise there is this very large organization  called Dress a girl around the world and they have many ambassadors/group leaders all over the U.S.  and even internationally. I checked it out and there was only one ambassador for the state of Arizona and they were meeting within miles of my home at a local church for their once a month work/serve day. This is what was said on the facebook site: The Phoenix DAG group meets once a month to sew, sort and size dresses. We have fun and good fellowship while working together and a yummy potluck lunch is always shared. New friends are welcome, check out the Facebook page: Dress A Girl Around The World – Phoenix for details of our next Serve Day.  A goal for 2018 is to start sewing classes at the Phoenix Dream Center, teaching the residents there how to make dresses for DAG, please pray for this project as we look ahead to next year! Well it sparked my interest so I fixed a salad and went to the meeting. I can't tell you how amazing this was. There were at least 20 women all in my age group and all simply wanting to bless someone. I sorted, bagged and packed more pretty dresses than I could count. If you go to the face book page above you will see pictures of the work day and I will share one that included me at a serger machine ( I am on the right) and look at the pile of dresses in front of us waiting to be sewed. I think I have found a new heart place.
 If you go to the main web site http://www.dressagirlaroundtheworld.com/ you can find out more about it and how many lives have been touched through this  ministry. They hand deliver all these dresses around the world and who knows maybe I will be able to go on one of those trips one day.



5 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

How wonderful! I'm happy that you found a welcoming group and a place to use your many talents.

Debbie said...

oh monica, this sounds like a perfect fit for you!! doing a great thing, meeting like people, what a wonderful find!!

and one of the reasons i LOVE Facebook!!!

Mari said...

That is so cool! What a great way to give back.

Brig said...

This is wonderful that you found a worthy cause for your talents. Kudos to you and the other ladies!
One of my young granddaughter's and I knit preemie hats for one of the hospitals up where she lives. I think it is so important for today's kids to learn to give.

Michelle said...

Excellent! Nice to see that you have found a group to share your skills with.