Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Fashion

This is Lillian Russell
She was the most admired woman in the 1800's at nearly 200 lbs.
 
 
 
In 1950 this was the desired body....
 
and it has gotten smaller and smaller.
 
 
 
 

 
Who makes these decisions for us? Why are we pressured to look a certain way even to the point of injury like the women in Japan who allowed their feet to be broken so they would fit into the tiniest shoes
 
 
 
Or those Victorian days of old where the tiniest waist was the demand
 
 
 
 
 
 and even not so long ago spiked high heels
 
 
and today the rage is.....

Tattoo's

Listen if you think getting your ears pierced hurt try one of these!
 
 
Fortunately for me, I didn't do anything that is permanent to follow the fashion trend with the exception of pierced ears and today, I could vie with the fifty's if it leaned a little more toward Lillian Russell...because curved are the best!
 
 

 
 
 
 
 

8 comments:

Michelle said...

In my opinion a 1950's body looks genuinely healthy! I don't like the skinny trend.

Linda said...

I know what you mean! It just seems all so UNnatural! I love people like Sally Fields when she said, "This is what 50 looks like."
We - parents, aunts, cousins and others - are in the position of role models for those coming after us. We age. That is the way it is. Do it as gracefully as possible but rest assured, we Will ALL age......Don't make it any harder than it has to be!

Tired Teacher said...

A wonderful post! I was always surrounded by skinny people so I grew up thinking I was terribly overweight. Recently, I looked at some old photos from my high school days and realized I looked healthy but I simply did not fit into the "norm" of the Twiggy days. Yet, I was basically brainwashed by the societial norm and still have a warped self image because of it.

Nonnie said...

The "Not this" look is scary. So are the tattoos. I just don't understand.

Lady Di Tn said...

Being a short lady, I loved heels but alas I cannot wear them any more unless I take an Aleve. The fashion industry are the ones who try to make us look so appealing in what they think is best for them not us. I much prefer being curvy and healthy instead of skinny and sickly.
My SIL who smoked ( is younger than I) so she would not gain an ounce is now in the hospital suffering from a stroke. She is pencil thin but has a hard road ahead of her now. Peace

Debbie said...

i have been skinny because my body wanted to be skinny. now i am 50 something and my body is very curvy...i try to love it. one tattoo on my foot of a butterfly, not a trend, a statement...one i will never regret!!!

Granny Annie said...

We need to be where we feel the best. I have a hard time believing the twiggy fashion had girls feeling very healthy. At the same time over 200 lbs is not very healthy either.

Shammickite said...

I've always been tall and slim, so never wore high heels in case I would be taller that the man I was with at the time. A few more pounds now, than 20 years ago, but they are all in the right places!!