Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

New Orleans 3

This was my surprise highlight. Most people that I have shared about the World War II museum with all say "I had no idea it was even there". My hubby and I are not shoppers so I look hard to find things that might interest us and that is how I found the museum but I had no idea how magnificent it would be.

Here is a little background.......My Dad served under General Patton in the European theatre during World War 2 but like most....he did not talk about it. I was lousy at History and still have a hard time if it is just dates and facts but give me pictures, things, and maps and it all comes alive for me. I have a metal lunch box full of memorabilia from my Dad while he was in the war including pictures, dog tags, letters to my Mom, maps and etc. and think I may now be able to piece together a history to leave to the grandkids. I also have his uniform.

Everything about the museum was wonderful but I will just tell you a few of the things that griped me, you probably already grasped these things and may be bored:)
First off we knew that Germany was doing exactly what they had done that caused us to have World War 1 (over taking other countries and people to empower themselves) but we decided we did not want to get involved because of the high cost of the war and we also knew that Japan was building up this huge army yet, we were totally unprepared to go to war. Our country was in a depression and a very weak condition when we were bombed at Pearl Harbor and all hell broke loose. When you see the figures and statistics and the fact that we fought two wars at the same time............ it is a true miracle that we won and are a free country today!

I guess the things that stood out to me are things that I wonder if we would be able to do today....mainly, pull together. The coordination among our ally leaders that fought beside us and the support on the home front were truly amazing.
These things took place all over the U.S.


Gathering scrap metal. Some people even saved gum wrappers until they had a ball large enough to donate.
Grease was saved and recycled to make ammunition.
Women gave up their silk stockings so that they could be made into parachutes. It took 36 pairs to make one chute.
Even the movie stars advocated buying war bonds.

Everyone was unified and there were no protests while our service men fought in some of the worse conditions known to man and persevered over four long years.

and the women left behind became not only sole supporters for their families but the workforce of our country

many who had never held a job out of the home

and all hoped and prayed for their loved ones to come home.

A Picture of a flag displayed in the museum

This is the inscription if you are having a hard time reading it.

During the war small flags bearing stars were a common sight in home windows.
A blue star indicated a family member was in the service. A silver star originally denoted that a family was in service overseas but later meant someone was missing in action. A gold star signified that someone in the household had been killed while in service. Everyone knew the meaning of the term "Gold Star Mother".

If the museum was not enough right next door was the Solomon Victor Theater, yes another fee but oh so worth it to have the opportunity to see the movie "Beyond all boundaries" produced and narrated by Tom Hanks. The screen was 120 feet wide, 27 surround speakers, special effects theater seats, and several items that rise before the audience from a deep pit below like a 25 foot guard tower and a anti-aircraft gun to name a few. Go to the web site and click on the film clip to get a little glimpse of this very moving movie.

Now I know that New Orleans is famous for Bourbon street and Mardi Gras but for me....it will be the World War II museum. God Bless American.

P.S. there is also a Civil War museum that is very good as well.

4 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I have to admit I was one that did not know that it was there.

How interesting and overwhelming all that information was!

Wow.

sandie

Lady Di Tn said...

I have never really been inclined to go to Nawlins but after this post, I think I might just put it on my bucket list. I never knew about the flags in the windows and I thought I knew history fairly well as it is one of my favorite subjects. Thanks for sharing. Peace

JeanMac said...

Wonderful and informative post.

Granny Annie said...

I don't think we even heard of this museum and we were there for a military reunion. That's bad. Thanks for sharing.