Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Ruts


I have always considered the phrase "being in a rut" in bit of a negative way, however, I recently read something that presented a different slant.

I read daily from a book called "Growing Older, Growing Better". Today's reading shared some insight into the comfort of routines. Knowing what is expected, the comfort of familiarity. It went on to point out that even the law of nature holds monotony. The sun rises and sets everyday in the east and the west yet, where would we be without that daily occurrence?
How about you? Where are you in this time of your life?

8 comments:

dabrah said...

I've never looked at it that way. You're right, if the sun didn't rise and set and if the seasons didn't change and recurr, we'd be in a real panic. As for me, I'm all over the place, no routine to speak of, and not getting a lot done.

Ming the Merciless said...

I totally understand the whole comfort zone thing.

But sometimes, the comfort zone hold you back and doesn't let you grow. You stop taking risks, try something new and before you know it, you're in a rut. :-)

I'm actually at a crossroad in my life, career wise. I'm at a job that robs my soul every day but pays the bills. :-(

JeanMac said...

Good post - I guess I'm in a new, uncharted rut!

smilnsigh said...

I'm all for the comfort of routines!!! Oh yes. In fact, my husband and I have lots of them. Our days and nights just goooooooo that way. And I guess we do best, in them.

I guess I prefer to see them as daily cycles. Like the rising and setting of the sun, are cyclical. As are the phases of the moon and the seasons of the year and etc., etc., etc.

And even within such, one can try out something different. The total cycle isn't 'set in stone.' Or at least, I don't feel it should be. Sometimes you have to try something different, to keep the juices flowing. ,-)

Mari-Nanci

Chatty Crone said...

Ruts are 'good' unless you're in a 'bad' one. Chatty

Changes in the wind said...

Thanks all for sharing:)

Lady Di Tn said...

Like everyday ruts but not unexpected ones. Ruts are like an old pair of shoes, comfortable. Peace

Anonymous said...

Well, I can't hardly stand being in a "comfort zone"... even to the point of making it a point to NOT sit at the same tables, and upsetting my routines on purpose. And at the same time, I bemoan my inability to have a good "daily routine"... I only just this minute realized this! Thank you so much!!!