Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Sunday, April 1, 2012

A - Arizona

Arizona became a U.S. Sate on Feb. 14, 1912. Arizona was the 48th state admitted to the U.S. and the last of the contiguous states to be admitted.
Here is a little History that is often overlooked......In the Mexican - American War of 1847 after occupying Mexico City it pursued its claim to much of northern Mexico, including what later became Arizona. The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo (1848) specified that the sum of US $15 Million in compensation (equivalent to about $403 million in 2012) be paid to the Republic of Mexico.

There is nothing more beautiful than a dersert sunset.

 and the saguaro cactus flower is our state flower.

Other names were considered for our state, some of them were Gadsonia, Pimeria, Montezuma and Arizuma. When President Lincoln signed the final bill , it read "Arizona", and the name became permanent. 

The five C's of Arizona

Copper - Since 1910 Arizona has been the Nations top producer of copper - mining more than the other 49 states combines.

Cotton - During WWI Arizona Pima cotton was the main source for industrial-strength  cotton used in the construction of airplanes, and tires.

Citrus - Arizona is the country's second largest producer of lemons, third in tangerines and in the top 10 for grapefruit and oranges.

Cattle - Arizona had more cattle than people until about 1950.

Climate - The state's abundant sunshine created what is still one of our most important business sectors: tourism.

16 comments:

Granny Annie said...

I would have guessed that you would start the challenge with Arizona. Great information, especially about naming the state. Have you qualified to have already covered "C" as well with the five C's of Arizona?

Larri said...

Very interesting facts and great start to the Challenge! Thanks for sharing. I had no idea Arizona was such a producer of citrus. I'll have to tuck that tidbit of trivia away.

Looking forward to reading your posts. Happy Sunday! ☺

PS...Know what I love about sunsets? It's a new show every night! ☺

Kelly Barnes said...

Arizona has been on my list of places to be for years. Say hey to Marjorie and Amy for me

(That's like a "do you know...?" joke)

I never thought about AZ being the youngest contiguous state. Thanks

Rosalind Adam said...

I've never been to America and I get mixed up with where all the states are and the difference between them so I'm hoping to learn something my visiting you over the next month.

I’m doing the A to Z Challenge too at A to Z of Nostalgia

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

Hello my new friend! We lived in Scottsdale AZ for 7 years before moving to Santa Fe, NM. These are great fun facts about AZ!

TexWisGirl said...

arizuma would have been cool, too. :)

K.T. Hanna said...

I love this one. I'm not from the USA so for me, this was nicely informative. Thank you.
I live in KS now, so this is great to know! And youngest State? That's sort of cool :D

Konstanz Silverbow said...

Very cool facts to know! Great Start to the challenge!

Konstanz Silverbow
A to Z Co-host
nothoughts2small.blogspot.com
www.a-to-zchallenge.com

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Didn't realize Arizona was one of the last states. I've driven through it several times but never got to stop and see anything.

JennaQuentin said...

I didn't know hardly any of those facts! Thanks for sharing - Good luck A to Z-ing!

Catherine Noble said...

I love this post, it's exactly the kind of fact-filled stuff I love to read about right now! Looking forward to the rest of your A-Z Challenge :)

Inger said...

That was interesting about the name. And you are so right nothing is more beautiful than a desert sunset, except once I saw the sun rise over the Mojave desert and that's a sight I have never forgotten. All in all, I think the desert is just gorgeous and for most of my life I had no idea. Looking forward to more.

Michelle said...

I love Arizona! We will back out there sometime this summer hiking!

Hold my hand: a social worker's blog said...

That was a fascinating post. Nice learning about the state of Arizona.

Great start of the A to Z!

Doris

Francene Stanley said...

Interesting for me to learn more about Arizona--from here in England.

Anonymous said...

lots of interesting information! =)