Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Friday, April 6, 2012

F- Fan

Fans have been used for centuries and in fact during the Elizabethan era from 1558 to 1603, both men and women used fans and even used "fanology" as way to communicate with each other using their fans. An example is the Alphabet of the fan could spell out a secret meeting place and the number of fan blades could suggest the time.

There are mourning fans...
You can read more about these on this site....http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~salvo/@SEA/exhibit/index.asp


There are straw fans

Lace fans

Silk fans

Program fans
Fans for advertisement

Really cleaver fans

So many kinds of fans that there is even a fan museum.

But if you are hot......any fan will do.




8 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

an art form and a language. :)

Tomara Armstrong said...

I guess I never really thought about them, but I just assumed that only women would use a fan, but now I am rather intrigued... secret messages?

I'm going to have to read more :-)
~2

Catherine Noble said...

I love the idea of the secret message fans! :) I need that white lace fan in my life... even if it's too cold in Scotland to ever require one :)

Heather Murphy said...

That lace fan is beautiful. I have never seen one like that before

Michelle said...

These are beautiful examples. I have a fan that belonged to my g-grandmother. Black and simple in design.

Granny Annie said...

Any fan will do for sure when you are going through menopause. LOL
Very informative letter "F". You are doing great with the A-Z posts and bet you will enjoy your day off tomorrow.

I am soooooo happy that we can once again be allowed to receive emailed follow-up comments. It is fun to see what others say and any comments you might make back.

Chatty Crone said...

Have a blessed Easter. Sandie

Michelle said...

I think fans are so interesting!