Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

D - Diamondback


Rattlesnake not to be confused with


The Arizona Diamondbacks baseball team.

No the Western Diamondback is the most common venomous snake in the Phoenix area.

The milking of a rattlesnake is how the anti venom is acquired...

This is a pedestrian walkway/bikeway in Tuscon, Arizona which is designed to look like a diamondback rattlesnake.




If you ever come upon one of these it will make your heart stop....

 and the only thing worse??????

to come up on a nest of them.

10 comments:

Nancy said...

I cannot stand rattlesnakes! When I lived on the farm, I tried to keep the grass around the house trimmed short, but once I nearly stepped on a snake: I was much more cautious after that and even checked the step before opening the door.

Inger said...

Wow! That's some fabulous walk way. What a great idea. We do come across rattlesnakes here every summer, but I've never seen a nest. Our kind are Northern Pacific rattlesnakes.

TexWisGirl said...

a huge EEK! glad we don't have them here in NE Tx - a bit further south, yes.

Heather Murphy said...

Yikes! Living in FL, these are common here too...and very scary!

DL Hammons said...

That walk-way is really cool! Thanks for sharing that with us.

DL @ Cruising Altitude 2.0
Co-Host of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

Lady Di Tn said...

Not afraid of snakes, just do not wish for them to be in my space. Peace

Granny Annie said...

Very good "D" word. I have encountered many a black snake but never a rattler. Dread the day plus the day I encounter a copperhead. They are plentiful around here and Ron has seen a few.

silverlight said...

YUK!!!!!!!!!

Chatty Crone said...

Snakes SCARE me! sandie

Michelle said...

This is a great entry for "D". The design of that walkway is pretty cool.