Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Monday, April 2, 2012

B - Bubble Gum

Ancient Greek's chewed gum from  the resin of the mastic tree's and on and on it goes until 1869 when William Finley became the first person to patent a gum in the U.S.

 but truth be known....it wasn't until 1928 when Double Bubble was created

that it became fun!

An old wives tale said that if you swallowed your gum it would stay in your stomach for up to 7 years!
Not true, it passes through like all other foods.





My favorite was Hubby Bubba and  blowing bubbles always helped those hum drum days....


10 comments:

Granny Annie said...

I'm going to buy some Hubba Bubba the next time I'm at the store. You made me miss my bubble gum days:) I still thought gum stayed in your stomach forever! LOL

Nancy said...

Doublemint is by far my favorite gum, but I rarely chew gum anymore. Probably because I heard and saw too much of it when teaching. ;oD

JennaQuentin said...

Cool facts! Nice to meet you. Good luck A to Z-ing!

Inger said...

Never been much of a bubblegum fan, but I do remember we used to chew resin from the pine trees back in Sweden when we were kids.

TexWisGirl said...

i liked bazooka joe w/ the silly comics. :)

Konstanz Silverbow said...

LOVE this post! I love chewing gum!

Konstanz Silverbow
nothoughts2small.blogspot.com
thewriterace.blogspot.com
A to Z c-host
www.a-to-zchallenge.com

Marta Szemik said...

Remember the Doublemint commercials with the Twins. Those were so wacky!

Heather Murphy said...

Thank goodness we have moved away from tree resin. YUCK! Big Red is my favorite

Bev said...

Love your 'history' on bubble gum!

Michelle said...

I have never been much on the bubble gum, but I have always loved the minty variety.