Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Saturday, April 21, 2012

S - Sack

Here in Arizona I've known it as gunnysack but I understand that in the Northeast it is known as a burlap bag and in Eastern North Carolina a tow bag. In Georgia is may be called a crocus sack and in the gulf states a croker sack

Just as varied in names are the uses of sacks.....there is the potato sack (guess that is where the slang (sittin like a sack of potatoes) came from and of course if they are empty you can put them to good use.








 There is a sack lunch






 A hackysack
 I included a video in case you would like to learn to play.

And if you are a football fan you would know that when the quarterback gets tackled behind the line of scimmage it is a sack.


There is that slang (still in the sack)



 The amazing embryo sack



and you wouldn't want to forget Santa's sack.







Here in the city people are encouraged to bring a sack when they walk their dogs and pick up after them .....









This might be considered the extreme.

10 comments:

Dana said...

Really fun post! Thanks for sharing. :)

Inger said...

That last picture was funny! And I never knew what a gunny sack was, now I do. Thanks.

TexWisGirl said...

i grew up with gunnysack. burlap bag was a close 2nd. :)

Michelle said...

LOL! Great last pic! I have always known it as just a sack.

Bev said...

cool post....and here in Alberta...well at least I have always know them as gunny sacks!

Granny Annie said...

Very good post. And from the TV series there was The Jack Sack which was the manpurse Jack Bauer carried everywhere he went.

Lynn said...

My dad called that a croker sack. :) I had forgotten that. I've never heard anyone in Georgia say crocus sack, but maybe I just haven't heard it.

Chatty Crone said...

Okay I don't want that last sack! Sandie

Marianne (Mare) Baker Ball said...

Funny! Never thought of so many sacks. And that last one....who would what THAT job? I'm popping in from A-Z. Nice to find you!!

Joy Tilton said...

Have you ever heard anyone call a paper sack a Poke? Grandpa used that term and years later I learned that was the brand name, funny! That last job as poop picker is a Dirty Job!