Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Monday, April 23, 2012

T - Trophy

If you have been following my blog you will already know that I competed in a gun spot called "World Fast Draw" for many many years (35 to be exact).

This is me and hubby at my very first contest in 1970. Funny thing we had been trying to get pregnant with no success and then I started shooting and......you guessed it I was pregnant here but didn't know it yet:) I continued to shoot until the holster wouldn't fit me anymore.

Well, maybe you don't really know much about fast draw but basically you shoot a single action hand gun (have to cock the hammer to make it shoot every time. I shot a Ruger 357 that was bored out to a 45. Most of my competition was "index shooting" where you wait for the light to come on then draw and fire and hopefully hit your target. Your time is recorded on a digital timer in 100's of a second. If you miss you receive 100 on your score. The person at the end of the contest with the lowest score wins. There are other types of competition like elimination, Cowboy Fast Draw and etc.

A popular but very hard event was called "Double balloons" Where when the light comes on you draw and hit the first target then pivot and shoot the second target....
Here is am in action and I haven't turned to the second balloon yet. This was taken in Tombstone, AZ.
Well on with the trophy's......
Sometimes the trophy was just a ribbon....
Me third from the left....
but most of the time it was a real trophy.....

If you notice the picture......that is hubby with the smoke of the black powder....made for a cool picture.
These are just a few in the gun room and if you look close you will see that some have a man on top and some have a woman.....
Of course the woman ones are mine.

 We have big trophy's little trophy's and even a mining pan as a trophy....

 This was from Deadwood, S. D.

 Plaques were popular too but you will never guess what my favorite was..........................................

 This specially made disk with it's own stand and it is engraved on both sides.....here is the back
Thank you Oklahoma for the memories.
This was one of the later contest that I won.....
 in 2003 and I got flowers too!

I packed up my gun in 2005 but just in case no one believes I did it......I have the trophy's to prove it no matter how dusty they are.


13 comments:

Dana said...

Wow! Congratulations! :)

Gossip_Grl said...

That is pretty cool that you have those accomplishments.

TexWisGirl said...

that is absolutely awesome, sharon! wow!

Inger said...

Love those belllbottoms in Tombstone of all places. It's great to read about responsible gun ownership.

Chatty Crone said...

I love seeing pictures of you and boy I'll be careful not to make you mad. In that first picture you look exactly like me - way back then. lol sandie

Lady Di Tn said...

You sure should be proud of getting those. Wow!!!! Peace

Tracy Jo said...

That is so cool! Stopping by from A to Z. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I look forward to following and reading more of your posts!

Michelle said...

You go girl! That is just the coolest thing!

Jeremy Bates said...

Simply awesome! You have done well with your hobby. That's a nice collection of awards to prove you do what you say.

I had a friend who was a relative of Bob Munden, whom I'll bet you know or have heard of. He turned me onto the crazy and lightning quick world of the fast draw.

Do you have any You Tube videos of your fast draw skills? Holler at me on my blog if so. Thanks!

silverlight said...

ha,ha! literally, pistol packin' mama.

Lynn said...

Cool trophies!

Granny Annie said...

How in the world did I miss this post? I love to hear about your shooting and seeing these trophy and ribbon awards is wonderful. You always deserve congratulations for being a role model to all women. I'm a fair shot but certainly not close to competition of any kind.

Joy Tilton said...

Wow is all I can say too! I grew up in a hunting family, but never went to any competitions like these. You are loaded with trophies to keep those memories alive!