Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Q - Quadruplets


I am following the excitement  over at Linda's Life Journal. Her daughter, Amber,  is expecting quadruplets!

Three girls and one boy

Around 22 weeks she was put in the hospital to monitor. Babies each weighted around 1 pound. Being pregnant with multiples is a whole different ball game.


Terms used for the order of multiple births in human beings are largely derived from the Latin names for numbers. Two offspring (twins) is the most common form, eight (octuplets) is the largest number ever successfully carried to full term with all children surviving.
  • Two offspring – twins
  • Three offspring – triplets
  • Four offspring – quadruplets
  • Five offspring – quintuplets
  • Six offspring – sextuplets
  • Seven offspring – septuplets
  • Eight offspring – octuplets
  • Nine offspring – nonuplets
  • Ten offspring – decuplets
  • Eleven offspring – undecuplets
  • Twelve offspring – duodecuplets
  • Thirteen offspring – tridecuplets
  • Fourteen offspring – quadecuplets
  • Fifteen offspring – quindecuplets
  • Sixteen offspring – sexdecuplets
  • Seventeen offspring – septdecuplets
  • Eighteen offspring – octdecuplets
  • Nineteen offspring – nondecuplets
  • Twenty offspring – icosuplets/viguplets

10 comments:

Dana said...

Quadruplets! Wow! Thanks for the link. :)

Lady Di Tn said...

Bless her Heart. May God grant health to each tiny one. If I ever take up golf, I think I would support Ping. I had to read 4 post as I am running behind, HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN??????
PEACE

Anonymous said...

4 babies? at one time? all growing up at the very same time? I'm praying for her!!! =0

Linda said...

Ah!! I have been looking forward to this post! Amber agreed with Tricia.....when she came home from the doctor and told me she was expecting QUADS - she said, "Mom! Can you even DO that??"

Bless her heart! She IS doing it!

Sylvia Ney said...

I can't imagine carrying four at once let alon 20! The most I've heard of for a human is eight at a time. I've never even heard of the names for carrying more. So interesting. Thanks for sharing!

New follower here. I’m enjoying reading my fellow “A to Z”ers. I look forward to visiting again.

Sylvia
http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

Michelle said...

Friends of ours had quads. Crazy! I hope this lady does well!

Al Penwasser said...

Quadruplets! That's fantastic. Except when it's time to change diapers.
Great Googli-Moogli, though, icosuplets???? Wouldn't that make a woman's uterus fall out?

JeanMac said...

All I can say is Wow! Much happiness.

Granny Annie said...

Many, many prayers for this beautiful young girl and all that she has ahead of her. Delightful times and dreadful times.

I could think of some different words for multiple births, especially when you get above six.....one being YIKES!

Lynn said...

I love her photo! That's so neat.

I'm behind on blog visiting! Great Q post.