Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Monday, December 20, 2010

My other life

It may be Christmas with all the decorations and activities but my other life continues on no matter the season. You see my hubby is a specialized gunsmith. He works on Single Action  guns and restores them; so it is a pretty common event for him to come into my office and show me one of his latest tasks. I have to tell you he is indeed is truly amazing. He does all the work by hand, filing and sanding and polishing and etc. I often forget just how old these things are and once in a while learn something new so I will share this one with you.


This is a 1874 US Artillery 45 in a holster that was made in the early 1900's and when he was cleaning and restoring the holster he found the items to the left stuffed down in the bottom of the holster.....a crumpled handkerchief and two mercury dimes that are very tarnished.
This is the gun belt that the holster goes on and it holds 40 bullets which makes it pretty heavy but low and behold it is also  a money belt...

Behind the buckle is a slot that you could slip gold and silver coins in which was common in the late 1800's. Now talk about heavy...it would take a pretty good man to pack this around.

9 comments:

Tiggeriffic said...

That is amazing~! How about finding the coins and a hanky.. Added treasure~! Your hubby is very talented and this gun and holster looks good.. The man that carried this must of been the size of John Wayne..or bigger. good grief...
ta ta for now from Iowa..

Nancy said...

I have to show this post to my husband when he returns later this week. He appreciates what good gunsmiths are all about -- thank you for sharing a little about your hubby. Very interesting! :)

Nancy said...

What great discoveries.

My brother was a gun enthusiast and would have loved to visit with your husband. I wonder what my nephews did with all of their dad's guns and collectibles.

Lady Di Tn said...

Monica
This is truly a handsome gun and to know he does it all by hand. He is one talented fellow. It was a convenience to have everything on one belt but man I sure bet it was a heavy belt. Peace

Michelle said...

My husband and son are gun enthusiasts and would love to see this. How cool is it that he found those dimes and hankerchief?! Like a bit of history falling out of a bit of history!

Inger said...

Guns have to be pretty old for me to be interested in them. And this, with the belt with room for your silver coins is just fabulous. Thanks for sharing this part of your other life.--Inger

Allison said...

That is amazing.
I've got a secret fascination with the wild west, you know... I don't know if you've read how much of a prairie girl I consider myself to be! :) This was a great post. Thanks!

Changes in the wind said...

Allison I tried to see if you had a email I could respond to but you don't so I will tell you here...you need to get my book Buckskin Bessie..it is a true story and truly amazing.

Granny Annie said...

Looks like you both have the ability to come across vintage treasure. That gun is really neat.