Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Insulator tree

Right now everyone is focusing on a Christmas tree but not me.......One of my fellow bloggers posted an article about bottle tress and it gave me a idea!!!
http://itsasmalltownlife.blogspot.com/2010/11/bottle-trees.html

I have a whole crate full of old insulators that my Mom collected and saved so I googled (what would I ever do without google) and low and behold, you can buy a metal "tree" to hang the bottles on. This is the easy way to do it an not get hubby too involved so he won't grumble:)

http://glassian.org/insulator.html
Here is a web site that talks about insulators but the simply explanation is that they were used on telephone polls before everything started being put underground. I have these green ones but I also have a very large brown one, some that have turned purple with age and white ones. I decided to use only the green ones on my tree.

This was a little corner in the back yard where nothing would grow (as noted by the discarded drip that hasn't been removed yet) and the best part of all is that I already had a uplight in place to create these wonderful views at night.



Thank you Farmchick for the inspiration.
I truly enjoy something different here and there and this is just a perfect additon to my back yard where you will also find an unusual butterfly.......

and some chatting ducks



5 comments:

Nancy said...

A great use of insulators.

My mother collected them too. Most of hers were clear and were from electrical lines.

Chatty Crone said...

Hey I love your tree there! Nice.

sandie

Lady Di Tn said...

Wow! I love the lights at night on the bottle tree. Prince likes them so I pick up a few for him each year. Your Mother collected something really cool. She would be proud of your tree. Peace

Nancy said...

(the other Nancy) Farmchick has some wonderful ideas, not to mention, photos. Great idea to put those insulators to good use. :)

Tiggeriffic said...

I have lots of insulators.. Great idea~!
Living in Iowa they were easy to find and easy to get right off the poles. I have them in the shed in a box..
Love the chatting ducks.. Cute ~ Cute~ Cute.
Have a great day..ta ta for now from Iowa.....