Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Family musing



So many times we know each other simply as part of the family.
Yesterday, I went to visit a cousin who is younger than I and found how little I really knew him. We only saw each other at family gatherings and in the later years these were basically funerals (not a good time to visit). Well, to my great surprise I thoroughly enjoyed my time with him and his wife. I have often felt that this scenario of not really knowing your family was true with family members who were older than I, like my Uncles and Aunts. Rarely did I know them as I would now that I am an adult but more through a kids eyes. Strange isn't it to be related by blood but not by what you have in common. Maybe that is why there are often family strains......................................................................

4 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Families are hard to figure out!

Shammickite said...

I get on really well with all my cousins... they are wonderful generous and super people. I recently stayed with quite a few of them on a trip to England, and about 4 years ago I visited most of my NZ and Aussie cousins... and I love them all to bits!

Granny Annie said...

Our family is close but it is not always easy. We have to do a lot of giving and forgiving in order for it to work so well. I see many other families that will not agree to disagree and refuse forgiveness to another. Some go for years, if not for a lifetime, avoiding a family member. It seems that we should be closest to our blood relatives but we often are closer to friends. Isn't there a quote about picking friends, picking relatives and picking noses? LOL

I am happy you enjoyed your time with your cousin.

Lady Di Tn said...

Glad you had a good visit and sang "Getting to know you, getting to know all about you." I have always found it strange that you never see these kinfolks until someone dies and then they come up to you and begin to introducing themselves as so and so who is such and such. If you wish to know me lets get together somewhere beside the funeral home. Like the tongue and cheek last line. Peace