Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Monday, July 15, 2019

The beginning

The picture of my Mom that I posted earlier is the reason for this setting ...

I had this little space next to our fireplace in the family room and I wanted to put the picture here so we went to a antique store looking for a small desk but low and behold this is what I found. It is called a side by side and it was a perfect fit plus it was built in 1918, the year my Mom was born! The picture to the right of the candle...
my Mom is the baby. Her parents immigrated here from Norway and homesteaded in Montana.










It is a beautiful piece and I have never regretted buying it.

Along with many old, old pictures I have these books that came from where my Mom went to school as a young girl...


and these old bookends keep them standing...


This is a traveling clock/radio and it folds up..
I took a liking to travel alarms and bought several old ones.





This picture is next to the one of my Mom as a baby and is of my husbands Dad's (first bottom left) family.






 A picture of me when I was around 2 or 3 yrs. old

Hubby's picture and yes he was already in love with guns...

The pictures inside on the top shelf are all grandparents of me and hubby and the glass set below was my parents and has a Z on them for their last name "Zettler)
Below these are these old soda glasses...


On the bottom shelf are these two old dishes
This is all metal and has a little pedestal, may be like a bread dish.
Metal and glass




On the shelf above the desk area are these glasses...
I bet some of you have seen these somewhere......

8 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

What a beautiful piece of furniture. My Mom called this style a "secretary." Wouldn't you love to know the places the travel alarm went on its journeys!

Debbie said...

that piece of furniture was surely meant for you to find. it is beautiful and PERFECT for that spot. i also really like the duel purpose it serves. you have a lot of treasures stored there!!!

Michelle said...

What a lovely piece of furniture. Sounds like it was meant to be in your house. Love that you have those old photographs.

Mari said...

That piece is just gorgeous! I love it and all the treasures you have in and on it!

Linda said...

How perfect was that cabinet for you??? I can't tell you how much I enjoy seeing and hearing about your family. Treasures upon treasures......

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That is a beautiful treasure to keep your treasure on. I loved seeing all your old pictures and yes, my mom had a set of those glasses too.

Brig said...

Love your old family photos, and the cabinet is outstanding!

Susan Zarzycki said...

I just found your blog and enjoyed your pictures. My husband has several small Secretary desks throughout the house but I must say your side by side is !ovely! I also like to collect old dishes and you have inspired me to do a blog post on them one of these days.