Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Tues. night dinner

This was last weeks dinner:
Smoked pork chops, fresh green beans and a baked yam.
If you can believe it I had never cooked a fresh yam, only canned and had this idea that I wanted to try one fresh. I bought a really big one and cleaned it and poked holes in it and cooked it in the microwave until soft. I melted 2 tsp. butter and to it added 1 tsp. cinnamon, 3 tsp. brown sugar and 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Mixed that all together and halved and opened the potato and poured evenly over each half. Popped two to three marshmallows on each one and put under broiler until melted. It doesn't look so good in the picture but oh my it sure did taste good.
For the green beans I had a old recipe that I used and just cut way down. Only bought one slice of bacon and just a few boiling onions. The man in the meat market got a big kick out of my big purchase haha. I am learning to make it work for us.


 

8 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

Baked yams are THE best! I often bake them just like regular potoatoes, but I've learned to put some foil under them as they do weep a bit.

Granny Annie said...

Is a yam the same thing as a sweet potato? It all looks good.

Michelle said...

Once slice of bacon?! lol I would have bought a pound...easy!

Mari said...

Yum! We had pork chops last night too. We don't care for yams though, we had carrots and red skin potatoes with ours. :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

We have sweet potatoes and like them with a bit of butter and brown sugar. You meal looks great! :)

Linda said...

We love sweet potatoes too! Sometimes I just bake really big ones for dinner and add a salad. Your meal all plated looks as good as one on the cooking shows! And it was healthy!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

It looks delicious to me- especially the yam and beans!

Debbie said...

the sweet potato sounds so good, i love them and often order them in restaurants that have them. cooking for 2, it can be a challenge!!!

enjoy the long weekend!!!