Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Hair

After posting the picture of my Mother and I, it occurred to me that my Mother's hair in the picture may have appeared a bit strange to some. It must have been a Sat. because her hair was in pin curls.
 
and most of the time she would wear a little scarf like thing but for some reason she didn't here. I on the other hand have a kerchief to cover mine:)
Another memory....
 
My mother made my pin curls by wrapping the hair around her finger like above but the thing is...she had long, pointed fingernails! I am sure you get the picture.
 
We went from pin curls to brush rollers.....
 Weren't they lovely and especially to sleep on. Yes, those were the good old days.
 
 
 

7 comments:

Granny Annie said...

I share those memories. My head was always filled with pin-curls. LOL Wonder what girls do now. I know bobby pins and brush rollers are still sold. Who is using them?

Nancy said...

Lots of memories in this post. My sisters used pincurls. I remember the brush rollers only too well. I always woke up with pick marks on my scalp, especially on top near the front. Those divets were there for hour and hurt like all get out!

Linda said...

I remember pin curls....and clippies....and spoolies....those pink foam rubber curlers that snapped shut. I remember pinning my sister, Nita's, hair in pin curls and then covering them with a doiley to hold them in place.

Michelle said...

My mom used foam rollers on me. I hated them!

Nonnie said...

I still find it hard to believe that we slept on those rollers. My Mom used the bobby pins on us when we were kids. She also loved to give us perms. I don't know why because it probably didn't cut down on hair care for us. Crazy.

Lady Di Tn said...

I did the rolling of the pin curls for my Mother each night before I headed to bed. Oh, it makes my head hurt to think of those blasted rollers. Many of nights spent in torture. Peace

Judy S. said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I really enjoyed seeing all that you make for charity on your other blog; I volunteer in the antepartum unit at the UW hospital and know how much those things are appreciated. Those rollers were something else to sleep in, weren't they? Sometimes they ended up in a pile on the floor!