Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Famous

Do you recognize this young woman?

She is known all over the world....
 
 How about in this picture?
 
Maybe this one?

Now you know for sure:)
 
By the 1970s Mother Theresa  had become internationally famed as a humanitarian and advocate for the poor and helpless, due in part to a documentary, and book, Something Beautiful for God by Malcolm Muggeridge. She won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 and India's highest civilian honor, the Bharat Ratna, in 1980 for her humanitarian work.
 

Mother Teresa said "By blood, I am Albanian. By citizenship, an Indian. By faith, I am a Catholic nun. As to my calling, I belong to the world. As to my heart, I belong entirely to the Heart of Jesus."

What a heart that was....By 1996, Mother Teresa was operating 517 missions in more than 100 countries. Over the years, Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity grew from twelve to thousands serving the "poorest of the poor".


Mother Teresa suffered a heart attack  in Rome in 1983, while visiting Pope John Paul II. After a second attack in 1989, she received an artificial pacemaker. In 1991, after a battle with pneumonia  while in Mexico, she suffered further heart problems and died at the age of 87,  in 1997.

Just one woman who touched so many....here are a few of her quotes:

If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one.

Loneliness and the feeling of being unwanted is the most terrible poverty.





 

4 comments:

Nancy said...

An amazing lady - she made a large impact on the world and on those for whom she cared.

Chatty Crone said...

Okay I loved this - I love Mother Teresa. I think she was a wonderful woman. I had no idea of her background - no wonder she went back to help India. sandie

mountain mama said...

wow...i have never seen younger pictures of her. she was one remarkable woman!

Lady Di Tn said...

In 1979 they were still giving the Nobel Peace Prize to those who deserved it. I always say do something for others each day, no matter what the effort. Hers was more profound. Peace