Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Friday, January 6, 2012

Let's talk about........

Manholes



Manholes, which interconnect underground sewerage pipes, and serve as a point of entry for cleaning the pipes, are located at every major sewer pipe connection, and are capped with round manhole covers. So okay,  if you are like me you maybe think the manhole and covers are round because the men that go down them are sort of round? Well, here is the scoop....they are round because their shape is not affected by heat, cold and street traffic running roughshod over them so they do not fall in. But, not all manhole's are the same as proven by a few pictures.




For those that need direction


For those that need a warning


For the Chic


The beautiful ones can be found in Japan


To know where you are
 (The Capital of Slovakia)


For the creative



Another reason for the manhole cover to be round is because once it is removed..

it can easiy be rolled away but that was before modern technology....






hydraulic manhole cover remover.



May you never look at another manhole the same............

8 comments:

Lady Di Tn said...

Now I really have never thought about manholes. LOL I just love how you keep entertaining and informing us in blog land. Peace

TexWisGirl said...

thanks for the ponderage! :)

Nancy said...

How interesting!

Carol............. said...

Now I'll be checking the streets for manholes and shoving cars out of my way to do so!!! LOL

Bev said...

wonderful and interesting information!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Cool..we don't have any out here in the boonies:)

Chatty Crone said...

Okay now how do you know all that and I like the one from Japan. sandie

Tiggeriffic said...

I think manhole covers are so cool.. Very artsy...Do they still make these..is there a factory somewhere where they are made? I like the Hydraulic manhole cover remover, that would be a tool that would be very useful. Thanks~!
I love the duck walking on the sand.. If I saw those tracks without the duck I would stop and wonder how they got there...So peaceful and serene..
Thanks for you blog and thanks for asking how I'm doing after Knee surgery..you are very special.. ta ta for now from Iowa:) It's 50 plus degrees ~ sunny and a awesome day~!