Don't forget to double click on pictures to enlarge

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Great Ocean Road


If I could wiggle my nose and be transported somewhere....this is a place I would go.


A  coastal drive along Australia's southwestern shore that winds its way around rugged cliffs, through lush rainforests and windswept beaches.

A little history via the internet....
By the time of World War I, the rugged south-west coast of Victoria was accessible only by sea or rough bush track. Besides being dedicated as a memorial, it was also envisaged that the road would connect isolated settlements on the coast, and become a vital transport link for the timber industry and tourism

Construction on the road began on 19 September 1919, built by approximately 3,000 returned servicemen as a war memorial for fellow servicemen who had been killed in World War I. An advance survey team progressed through dense wilderness at approximately 3 kilometres a month. Construction was done by hand; using explosives, pick and shovel, wheel barrows, and some small machinery, and was at times perilous, with several workers killed on the job; the final sections along steep coastal mountains being the most difficult to work on.

 
 
 
What awesome beauty
 
 
and Koala to boot!
 
 
 

4 comments:

Nancy said...

How interesting. That would be a great place to visit.

Tracy Batchelder said...

Looks like a beautiful place.

Granny Annie said...

It is beautiful but I'm not so sure I would want to travel that highway. Perhaps I would develop a new phobia.

Lady Di Tn said...

If you go, I plan to wiggle my nose and go with yawl. I have always wanted to visit there. Peace